Monday, May 21, 2007

Tidbits...

Well, I think Clayton will still blog about the last couple of days in Ethiopia, but right now baby and husband are napping, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to jot some stuff down before I forget it.

The funniest thing said on our trip was when we were all at breakfast one morning early on (bottomlys, faulkners, browns, and rosemary)...Amy in all innocence asked me out loud, "How are you washing your nipples?". She of course was referring to the baby bottles and not having a dishwasher, but it sounded really funnyyyyy. Just so you know, I brought a small thing of dish detergent and used hot water from the tap in the bathroom.

The one time I wish I had my camera was at the embassy for our visa appointments. When you take the diaper bag into the embassy you have to taste any bottled water or already made formula. So, I tasted the bottled water we had that we use to make Deacon's bottles. Then Josh had to taste the bottled water they had AND the bottle of formula they had already made for Silas. And the reason it was such a kodak moment is because instead of unscrewing the top off the bottle and sipping it, Josh just popped the cap off the bottle and sucked it from the nipple. This made everyone in the room laugh.

And about our flight home....I think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than do that again. Don't want to be a bummer for those of you who will make the journey in the future, but it was horrible!!!!!!! Some tips to make it better....

Pay whatever your hotel wants so that you get a late check out. The Hilton charges 50% of the nightly rate and I think you can stay until 7pm, instead of the normal check out at noon. We checked out at noon and our flight didn't leave until 10:35 and this made the day seem to drag on forever...

Also, reconfirm your flight home at least 2-3 times while in Addis. Everytime you reconfirm, ask about the bassinet seat if you've got a little one coming home. Check in EARLY at the airport and make sure to get a bassinet seat.

Keep your baby up in the afternoon so that they will sleep the first part of the flight, and you can sleeep also.

Make sure you have a long layover between DC and wherever you are going. We thought 4 hours was enough and it wasn't. Get a longer layover.

Ok, that's all I've got right now...We need to get ready to go to Deacon's first pediatrician visit (well, first in America). I don't think he will enjoy it because I'm pretty sure he'll get shots today. I'd better take pictures with the pediatrician before the shots!!!

3 comments:

Quinn Girls said...

Congratulations again and thank you so much for sharing. Once I get my referral I would love to get in touch to get all the inside scoop. Enjoy this special time with Deacon. He is so beautiful and seems so happy. You have been blessed.

Maria

Stacie said...

So glad you're home safe!

Thanks for all the info- we will definitely keep all this in mind when we go!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you have any food recommendations for someone who will be staying at the Hilton in July and who is a little picky (just like the good ol' southern american food). i am starting to worry about what exactly I will eat while there...
Also, I am so glad you guys posted while there. I checked in on a regular basis. I also recommended my dad read it, which he did and it made him very excited about our upcoming trip (he will be going with me!)